Sunday, July 26, 2009

Skribble



From scratch to scribble “The foundation of all art starts with Skribble” I had the chance to sit down with young, artistic and extraordinaire Luther Patton the creator and CEO of Skribble, an up and coming Street wear clothing line. Getting the buzz on what his collection has to offer.

Phillip Robert Holmes: So tell me about yourself and how you got started?

Luther Patton: I’m from Tempe, Arizona and I love my city, and Skribble has always been a part of me as a visual artist but I did not realize it until I came to Atlanta. I really feel blessed to be an AUC student because, there is so much potential in this city of Atlanta.



PRH: How did the name Skribble come about?


LP:I came up with the name Skribble by scribbling on a page when I had no inspiration or was bored in class. I would try to make something out of the aimless marks that I drew to exercise my creativity and create something that no one else can duplicate. Then eventually I began drawing this scribbled pattern more often and it shifted into the inspiration behind my brand.

PRH: How does it feel to see people in essence wearing a piece of you? What was your initial feeling and how does it feel now?


LP: When I see someone wearing a piece that I created, it’s always a good feeling. It motivates me to keep doing what I’m doing and make my next piece even better. I also feel as if I need to get busier and make more stuff, because I’m not satisfied by just seeing t-shirts and hoodies. I want to diversify my brand and do big things while staying true to myself.


PRH: How would you describe your artwork and how does it correlate to the clothing line?


LP: My artwork is universal it’s whatever you want it to be, many people ask me about my pieces like what does it mean or what I am I saying. I tell it’s whatever you want it to be. You have to leave some mystery to your artwork; you can’t tell them everything they have to find out what it means to them personally.



PRH: What are some of your philosophies that you live by or you use to help you create?


LP: Really this is just something I do; I feel like if everyone just respected each other and their crafts life would not have so many problems.


PRH: What obstacle did you face as a young African American designer and what words of advice can you give to other aspiring designers?


LP: Truthfully just be yourself when you’re creating, I mean inspiration is free. Like for instance, I get inspiration from everyone and everywhere sometimes other designers but I make it my own.



PRH: What are some key concepts you keep in mind when you creating for Skribble?

LP: I always think of a female’s perspective; like what do they think looks good because truthfully they are who I aim to attract. (Laughing out loud) It’s very important.

PRH: What can we expect next from you in the near future?

LP: Growth, really everything. My fall collection will have hoodies, varsity jackets, socks, and underwear I’m going to be touching on every aspect. My vision is to create an artistic lifestyle, my clothing is just one aspect; it’s a way of branding myself. Also I’ll be headlining an art show this coming fall 2009 for Spelman College.


Styling, Photography by Phillip Robert Holmes and Photography editing by Nico Cruz http://suaveee.blogspot.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment